RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
- Finding local health data, a presentation from PHSKC’s Nadine Chan, our Data Counts Workshop (April 9, 2015).
- City health profiles and the 2014 King County Health Profile on KingCounty.gov Public health reports organized by city to inform you about population health at the local level.
- The CDC Community Health Navigator
- National Equity Atlas: A comprehensive data resource to track, measure, and make the case for inclusive growth.
WEB RESOURCES & Toolkits
Health Equity Impact Assessment Tool (HEAT*) - Developed by HKCC, the tool provides a lens through which each groups can better understand who is impacted by policies and practices.
Have you used our HEAT*! tool? We'd love your feedback! Chime in here.
Equity and Inclusion Terms Toolkit – Definition of terms, companion to the Assessment Tool.
Social Determinants of Health - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
PolicyLink -Targeted policies to reduce the racial wealth gap.
The Poverty Immersion - Walk in the shoes of someone living on a limited income. A facilitated role play – not a game. Changes attitudes and challenges stereotypes about the working poor.
Healthy Beverage Toolkit - Addressing obesity risk through food and beverage changes. Made possible by a Community Transformation Grant from the Centers for Disease Control and Public Health – Seattle & King County and Seattle Children’s Hospital.
Seattle Sugary Beverage Tax - Overview of the new Seattle Sugary Beverage tax. Made possible by Got Green.
How to Identify Marijuana Products - There are currently no regulations on medical marijuana products that appeal to youth or that look like food. Kids are definitely at risk.
Marijuana Edible Products and Youth - Get the facts – protect yourself and your kids from overdose.
Black Lives Black Lungs - short film by Lincoln Mondy on the tobacco industry & their targeting of African Americans.
www.stopoverdose.org - King County Opioid Task Force materials:
What We're Reading
Books and health-related articles:
- $2 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America, by Kathryn Edin & H. Luke Shaefer www.twodollarsaday.com
- The Turner House, by Angela Flournoy
- The New Confessions of an Economic Hitman, by John Perkins
- Fresh Foods by Prescription-NPR
- World About Fish, by Mark Kurlansky & Frank Stockton
- Scarcity: Why Having too Little Means So Much, by Sendhil Mullainathan